Dienstag, 17. April 2012

The pastel hype & when you should face the truth!

Okay, here we go with another fashion hype that established itself down to the lowest level of retail. The pastel colour-mania slightly broke out last year and is slowly but surely reaching its climax - something I can just partially understand.
Maybe this is because I'm personally just not into candy-ice-creamy-supersweety colour shade, maybe I overkilled myself with that colour in kindergarden and primary school (still having my old sweater) or maybe I just developed a deep aversion against this trend since everyone seems to think it's wearable. Which is certainly not the case. Take me! Do I look like a slight shade of egg-yellow pastel tone is going to charm my teint? Does that candyglossy rose tone will flutter my hair colour? Do I look healthy in that toothpaste, oh it's recently called mint, coloured jacket? No!
Why? Because "Baby, I was born this way", which means that I'm a superwhite girl with superwhite girl problems! Therefore I'm having an outstanding pale skin (yeah, people tend to ask me whether I'm ill if I leave the house without putting some blush on my cheeks - hard reality, people!), which doesn't even allow me to think about pulling this or that outfit of Parisienne-gone-mad-on-des-nuances-pastelles kind of attitude.
The reason for this post won't deal with any kind of therapeutic approach to overcome the trauma of not being able to wear any pastel colours but to tell that there is not only me existing on this planet who should just not wear these kinds of colours. I'm already into my neon-phase, which I find brave enough (neon is just the big, fat sister of innocent pastel) but please could these people around me stop pulling some trends if they are just not fitting to it?! You and I don't look like beautiful porcelain dolls with these soft colours. We look dead.
I have that one, very old RL pullover in that weird greenish colour (no, not toothpaste but rather the colour I get when turbulences arrive during a flight) and I rarely wore it in the past (still hear my mum overdramatically saying "you never wore that...never....why did we buy it again!?"). And why? Because I look paler than pale. Beyond paleness - transparency?! I don't know. I will surely do an outfitpost with this pullover and one of my favourite pieces, an old Paul Smith velvet jacket. But besides from this (and my nail polish purchase at American Apparel a year ago - same greenish colour!), I won't do any effort to let this shade on myself. 
I know - we're all followers of the big trend factory and you can't deny. None of you can. Whether you try to be different or not - we're all somehow influenced by what is going on and what is meant to be so en vogue for the next season. Of course, each of us is trying to be different, crazily seeking for individual style and being creative and all that kind of anti-mainstream-way-of-thinking, that should distinguish you from the broad mass. But at the end of the day, we all try to transform a trend and sometimes it just FAILS. And that's where I'm coming back to this post's topic, where I just can't help myself but to shout out loud that those people with such a pale skin like me should simply STOP presenting themselves in these colours. Leave it out. Go for something different.
I'm fine with pastelcolours when I see them on people having the perfect skin type for it. You don't need to be dark-dark. You don't have to be from another origin than the middle European one to wear these shades perfectly. But at least you have to be slightly tanned. Just slightly. And maybe have some natural hair colour. Then it looks good, then you're fine, then you look like a beautiful flower that just opened itself during a sunny day in spring.
But other than that? Catastrophe! This view doesn't only apply to me and the rest of the palest people on earth but also to those of us having an all-day-all-night card at some tanning studio. And to fulfill the discriminating colour trend: If your body is not in perfect shape (which applies to several examples during my daily tube rides), then  you should rethink that trend as well. Nothing more to add here.
But other than this, I can assure you that being born with such a skin type and not being able to wear this, is not as hard as it seems to be. It's just that thing that others should understand that this is not doable (as much as we all want it to be). Having said this, I will surely update my personal view on pastel colours with the above promised someday-outfit and will possibly be either able to demonstrate how to wear some elements of pastels in a fair way... or to show the world that it's simply impossible for some people to follow this trend. We'll see.

If you still think that plain pastel colours will look perfect on people like methen you should take a look at the following pictures.
(The girls queuing outside have probably thought that I'm an insane person with no friends and a huge Topshop-giftcard-voucher, which I'm about to hand in for 300 pieces of pastel coloured stuff. The "best stylings" are shown below. Let me entertain you)
Just ignore the left side of this picture. It just happened. 
No words for this. 
The casual business bubblegum. 
cropped shirts - another thing I HATE! 
Trying the typical pose. Even failing with this. 
Sad Anna & the mean wall

17 Kommentare:

  1. fine pictures ; ]
    www.live-style20.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. aahah lovely post!!nice colors!!

    lachambrefiore.blogpsot.com

    kisskiss from italy
    Fiore

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Pastel Oreo!^^ Lol so lovely!! Btw, I like your outfits dear, especially the one with the shorts!:) Kisses!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Don´t worry If don´t like pastel color, You have to use just the color that you feel good.

    I think pastel colors is not bad for you.

    XOXO

    http://annchic.blogspot.com.es

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. i love those colors and styles on you, such a model!


    www.yuliconversations.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Das Post hat mich zum lachen!! Ich liebe auch Pastelfarben aber ich habe "super white skin" und dieses Farbe sieht nicht gut aus.
    Aber es nicht passiert! Wir können auf die Maldiven zwei Woche gehen, und gelöst! :))
    Was sagst du mir??

    xoxo aus München
    La Vie Quotienne
    www.laviequo.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. honestly i know EXACTLY what u are talking about. superwhite girl problems it is. honestly pastels dont look too good on me either!! make me look even more pale!! but im loving the neon trend though just like you!
    xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. I totally agree, some pastel colors can make paler skins look kind of dull and at the same time on really dark skin it can look quit harsh but it all depends on undertones as well because not all the pastel colors look bad on pale skin or really dark skin. I personally think the the yellow jacket in the first picture looked nice on you, maybe try with a different combination because the top isn't flattering and those shorts are your worse offenders. Great post!

    http://anaqueenbee.blogspot.co.uk

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Thank you!:)
    The pictures are very beautiful:)

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Love this post!!
    i'm not into pastel colors too, but i love the single pieces!
    xo
    http://inexpensiveluxury.blogspot.it/

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. You look beautiful in pastel colors!

    xo
    http://fashionkats.blogspot.pt/

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. I am in LOVE with your blog, you're so stunning and I'm dieing over your style right now <3
    xx
    -Imani Love

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Love this entry so much. I totally agree on everything my dear.
    I do love the pastel trend because it looks good on me because of my skin color. I'm not a neon person, i think I look weird :S i don't know.
    thanks for sharing the post.

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. You look great in pastel colors. These colors are perfect for the spring.
    xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. Ich liebe diesen Post und die Ironie die dahinter steckt! Nichts ist schlimmer, als Menschen, die verzweifelt jedem Trend nachrennen, obwohl er absolut nicht zu ihnen passt. Pastellfarben stehen dir wirklich nicht, na und? Dafür hast du einen tollen Stil und hast bisher in jedem Outfit-Post großartig ausgesehen. Vielleicht öffnet dein Post anderen Mädels auch mal endlich die Augen. Good Job ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. hahahahaha anna this made me laugh so hard! I actually REALLY like the picture of you in the yellow blazer, minus your funny face. haha! I think it looks cute on you and it looks better on you than you realize! It definitely does make you look VERY girlie though and it's not a very "mature", professional, or classy trend. Very bubblegum looking for sure.
    ha!
    But you could pull it off if you wanted to!
    What is that store called by the way? That girl with the ripped stockings...you should have told her they were ripped! haha That way in case she didnt already know she would feel ashamed for wearing them out like that!!

    xoxo

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...